Von Kohorn, Eric
- What is Moore's Law and how does it effect today's computer technology?
- How did the development of the GUI effect the popularity of home computing?
- Describe the three parts of an operating system.
- Describe three of the four kinds of tasks that as computer system can perform.
- What are the three types of data that can be found represented with binary digits.
- What do each of the following parts of the CPU do; the decode unit, the ALU, and the registers?
- How does cache memory speed up processing time?
- Compare and contrast the CISC chip and the RISC chip.
- Explain what influence word size has on processing time.
- Describe each of the following types of memory; ROM, RAM, and CMOS.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of telecommuting.
- What are expansion slots used for? Name two types of cards that could go in an expansion slot.
- Describe four items that can be found on a motherboard.
- Describe three different types of input devices; how does each device receive the input?
- What are the two main catagories of computer monitors and how does each display output?
- Compare and contrast a magnetic storage disk and an optical storage disk; give an example of each.
- Besides magnetic storage disks and optical disks, describe one other type of secondary storage device.
- Describe either USB or firewire.
- Describe four tasks performed by an operating system.
- What is a software suite and what the advantage to using one?
- Explain what a compiler does and who would use one?
- What is an algorithm?
- What is the difference between a sequential access device and a random access device? Give an example of each.
- Compare and contrast primary storage and secondary storage.
- What is deskilling and what is upskilling? Give an example of each.
- Who was Herman Hollerinth and what was his contribution to computer technology?
- What was the name of the first commercially available computer and who were its creators? What did this computer's name stand for?
- Both the Mark I and the ENIAC were developed due to what significant historical event? Why were these inventions necessary?
- What new technology allowed for the miniaturization of computers in the 1970's ? What generation of computers is this called?
- How has Information Technology effected the current economy of the USA?
- What kind of computer applications require a Supercomputer? Give two examples.
- What is the difference between operating system software and applications software? Give two examples of each.
- Why can't software written for a Macintosh computer run on a Windows OS machine?
- Name and briefly describe two factors in determining processor speed.
- What is the relationship between a computer program and an algorithm?
- Why does the operating system need to be loaded into a computer's memory prior to running any applications software programs?
- Why are point and draw devices necessary for today's computer systems? What software changes required the addition of these devices?
- What is distance learning? Give an example.
- What is CAI and how does it effect education?
- What is an automated factory and why is it more effective than a traditional factory?