Shoo Fly Quilt Block
The Shoo Fly quilt block is a very simple block to piece. It requires only two templates, a square and a right triangle, and can pieced quite quickly using the speed piecing and rotary cutting methods.
Help on Rotary Cutting
Help on Speed Piecing
This block uses two fabrics, one design fabric, Fabric A , and one background fabric, fabric B.
Traditional Piecing Method
To make this block use the following templates:
Cut the following pieces:
- 1 Template A in Fabric A
- 4 Template A in Fabric B
- 4 Template B in Fabric A
- 4 Template B in Fabric B
Rotary Cutting Directions
- Cut one 4 1/2" square from Fabric A. Strip width is 4 1/2".
- Cut four 4 1/2" squares from fabric B. Strip width is 4 1/2".
- Cut four right triangles from Fabric A. Strip width is 4 7/8".
- Cut four right trinagles from Fabric B. Strip width is 4 7/8".
You can also use Easy Piecing Triangle Templates to piece the right triangles.
Piecing the Block
- Make four squares by piece the four Template B of Fabric A to the four Template B of Fabric B.
Speed Piecing Alternative Follow the directions for piecing right triangles using 4 7/8" fabric strips.
- Make two strips by piecing two squares from Step 1 to one Template A of Fabric B.
- Make one strip by piecing two squares of Fabric B to one Template A of Fabric A.
- Piece the three strips together to form the finished Shoo Fly block.
Shoo Fly Variations
© 1994 Susan E Traudt
- Snowball I
- Snowball II
Nine Patch Blocks *
World Wide Quilting Page