Ohio Star Quilt Block Directions
The Ohio Star Quilt block is a popular block pattern that is simple to piece. It is constructed using only two templates, a square and a quarter triangle.
The Ohio Star uses one design fabric, Fabric A and a background fabric, Fabric B
Traditional Cutting Method
To piece a 12" finished size block, you need the following templates:
Cut the following pieces using the templates
- 1 Template A of Fabric A
- 4 Template of Fabric B
- 8 Template B of Fabric A
- 8 Template B of Fabric B
Rotary Cutting Directions for 12" Block
Help, I don't know how to rotary cut.
You can also use Easy Piecing Triangle Templates to piece the quarter square triangles.
For the Template A
- Cut one 4 1/2" strip of each Fabric A and Fabric B
- Cut one 4 1/2" square from the Fabric A strip
- Cut four 4 1/2" squares from the Fabric B strip
For the Template B
- Cut one 5 1/4" strip of each Fabric A and Fabric B
- Cut two 5 1/4" squares from each of the Fabric A and the Fabric B strips
- Cut each 5 1/4" square in half on the diagonal
- Cut each triangle in half on the diagonal. This will result in 8 Fabric A and 8 Fabric B quarter triangles
Piecing the Ohio Star Block
- Piece 8 Fabric A triangles to 8 Fabric B triangles. This step can also be done using
the speed piecing method for quarter triangles. The strips should be cut 5 1/4" wide for a 12" quilt block.
- Piece the triangles created in step 1 together to form a square.
- Piece 4 squares of Fabric B together with 2 triangular squares to form 2 strips
- Piece 2 triangular squares with 1 square of Fabric A to form 1 strip
- Piece the 3 strips together to form the completed Ohio Square quilt block
Ohio Star Variations
© 1994 Susan E Traudt
- Ohio Star Variation
- Variable Star
Nine Patch Blocks *
World Wide Quilting Page